Everyone is unique, but our experience of working with athletes, runners and walkers means we can help you recover quickly from and avoid overuse injuries.
We begin by identifying the movement at the root of your problem and the tissues (muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones) that are causing discomfort. To do this we will undertake a detailed examination and may sometimes send you for x-ray, MRI or ultrasound imaging. If we do require imaging to support our diagnoses this can normally be arranged through your health insurer or with a local private hospital.
We also identify and secondary or 'sub-symptomatic' problems; this could be an abnormal movement or an inherent weakness. A treatment plan that only deals with the root problem could leave you vulnerable to further injury. By considering everything we aim to get you injury-free and keep you injury-free.
Once we have a treatment plan we manage different injury components individually:
- Soft-tissue massage and manipulation supported by home exercises (normally stretches, but we may show you how to self-massage), to stabilise the injured tissue. We get hands-on to fix your problem in a way we know will work.
- Teach you strengthening exercises to do at home, which will provide support as you adjust to a better way of moving. We will give you a personalised exercise card to follow.
- We can also provide a footwear 'prescription' so you can buy the running or walking shoe best-suited to your feet and movement type.
- If standard footwear isn't able to provide the support you need we can prescribe custom insoles/footbed orthotic devices to wear in your shoes. Not everyone needs orthotics, but if you do your prescription will be specific to your feet and gait.
- Once you have better tissue condition, stronger muscles and better support mechanics we can give you some simple 'gait drills'. Don't worry, they're only movement patterns you can practise and work into your normal walking or running activities to aid your recovery and reduce the risk of future injury.
- If injuries are chronic or slow to heal we can also refer you to our nutritionist for dietary analysis and advice.
We may invite you to come back to the clinic for occasional check-ups, to ensure you're not at risk of developing new injuries.